||2.1 CAPES 4 Score |
The Postgraduate Program in Education and Teaching of Science in the Amazon (PPGECA), linked to the Dean of Research and Post-Graduation and functioning in Normal Superior School, began concomitantly with the creation of UEA, and its origin is from the scientific initiation activities (PAIC / FAPEAM Program), as well as from the Lato Sensu Postgraduate Courses in Educational Research and School Management. From the historical point of view, it gave and continues to give its due contribution to support the pillars that sustain the university in question.
From the teaching and research activities mentioned above, there were concerns that mobilized a group of teachers to start thinking about the construction of a proposal for a Stricto Sensu Postgraduate Course, to be filled in the Capes Collection form. For that, a demand survey was made on the reality of Stricto Sensu local continuing education, in which it was detected that, in addition to other deficiencies, one of the most evident was the one linked to Area 46 (Teaching of Sciences and Mathematics). Given this evidence, as well as the flow of research related to that area, and the experience gained from the aforementioned Lato Sensu Postgraduate Courses, which were offered to the local community, the first course of the PPGECA was born: the Professional Masters in the Teaching of Science in the Amazon. Subsequently, the second course: the Academic Masters in Science Education and, finally, the third course: the Doctorate in Science and Mathematics Education (REAMEC).
Coordinator: Prof. Dr. Augusto Fachín Terán
Address: Avenida Djalma Batista, 2470. Chapada, Manaus - Amazonas - Brasil CEP: 69050-010 - Telephone/Fax: 55 92 3878-7726
|- ACADEMIC MASTERS IN SCIENCE EDUCATION IN THE AMAZON
||2.2 Characteristics of the course |
This is a new course, resulting from the developments of the teaching-research interface, based on the consolidation process of the Masters Program in Science Teaching in the Amazon, accredited by Capes in 2006, currently at its peak. There have been four courses, the first of which graduated at the beginning of 2009, with 100% success and 19 Masters degrees, and there is currently one in the final phase, and the last with the expected completion for the month of July 2011 The need to increase basic research, as an essential element for applied research, is one of the basic characteristics of the Masters Degree. From this, in the meetings of the research groups that are linked to the stricto sensu course, as well as in the meetings of its collegiate, questions were raised about the need for investment in a formative process that sought to characterize science teaching by a more academic bias which has a focus not only on the generation of processes and products to optimize teaching, but also on the re-dimensioning of science beyond teaching, based on the search for consolidation of the education-science interface, adopting as a mediator the construction of a citizenship that, effectively, is for life.
Concern about the great shortage in Science Education in the region, including the repressed demand that exists in the training of science teachers in Amazonas, this proves the urgent need to treat with great attention the issues related to emerging science themes, in order to consolidate an effective Education in Sciences. Considering, among other aspects, those mentioned above, the presentation of the proposal was prioritized as a goal of the Academic Masters Degree in Science Education, here in the description phase.
||2.2 Profile of the post graduate professional |
The Masters student in Science Education, graduated from the Masters Degree Program in Science Education in the Amazon, is a research professional engaged in the construction of citizenship, who develops research and produces knowledge in the area, with a view to implementing projects that promote regional and local development. He/she is a differentiated teacher-researcher-trainer, active in projects and actions that focus on processes and / or products that promote the improvement of the quality of teaching and learning in Basic Education and Initial and Continued Teacher Training, focusing on their pedagogical practices and research on issues that legitimize science education. Such professionals need to be qualified with special attributes of autonomy, competence and innovation, to enable them to formulate, plan, develop and evaluate (1) research projects, (2) new methodologies and (3) Science in the regional context of the Amazon.
||2.3 Guiding Objectives |
- Train researching professors, at Masters level, in the area of Science and Mathematics Teaching, both in theoretical and methodological terms of research, to act in a highly qualified way in the teaching and production of knowledge, while emphasizing the issues of the Amazon;
- Strengthen, through teaching and research, the study and research groups, in order to consolidate groups of researchers able to build knowledge in Area 46;
- Contribute effectively to the training of teachers, in particular professors who work in the under-graduate courses in Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Mathematics and professors who work in Pedagogy courses, thus contributing to changes in the quality of teaching and research in the Amazon region.
|- DOCTORATE IN SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS EDUCATION (AMAZONAS CENTER)
||3.1 CAPES - 4 Score |
||3.2 Characteristics of the Program |
This is a Postgraduate Program, stricto sensu, for a PhD in Education in Science and Mathematics. It is a proposal for a network association (AR) of Higher Education Institutions of the States that make up the Legal Amazon. It is a doctoral program that aims to train researchers and teacher trainers in the area of Education and Teaching of Science and Mathematics, with the purpose of strengthening this area in the Amazon Region, especially in the scope of the degrees in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Pedagogy.
||3.3 Objectives of the Program |
- Train faculty researchers at the doctoral level in the area of Science and Mathematics Education, both in theoretical and methodological terms of research and teaching, who will be capable of highly qualified teaching and production of knowledge in the area, in the context of the relationship: Science -Technology-Society-Environment, with special emphasis on the issues of the Amazon.
- To establish STUDY AND RESEARCH CENTERS in Education in Science and Mathematics, in each State of the Amazon Region and Research Networks among associated Institutions, in order to consolidate groups of researchers able to build knowledge in the area.
- To contribute effectively to the training of teacher trainers, especially to professors who work in teaching the degrees in Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Mathematics and professors who work teach in Pedagogy courses.
- To train a number of doctors from the region who are able to propose and take on the training of teachers at Masters level and in continuing education projects for Basic Education, thus contributing to changes in the quality of teaching and research in the Amazon Region.
||3.4 Profile of the post graduate professional |
The PhD. in Science and Mathematics Education, who graduates from the PhD Program in Science and Mathematics Education, is a researcher engaged in the construction of citizenship, developing research and producing knowledge in the area, with a view to the implementation of projects that promote development at regional and local levels. A teaching-researcher-trainer professional with a difference, active in projects and actions that focus on processes and / or products that promote the improvement of the quality of teaching and learning in Basic Education and Initial and Continuing Teacher Training and for the teaching of Science and Mathematics. These professionals need to be qualified with special attributes of autonomy, competence and innovation, which make them able to formulate, plan, develop and evaluate (1) research projects, (2) new methodologies and (3) and Mathematics in the regional context of the Amazon.
||3.5 Medium-term goal |
By 2020, we plan to graduate about 120 (one hundred and twenty) new doctoral students in the area already accredited in the program (25), doctors waiting to meet the criteria of area 46 for accreditation in the area (30) and professors who are migrating (40), already accredited in the Program as researchers in the 09 STUDY CENTERS OF STUDIES AND RESEARCH IN EDUCATION IN SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS, so we will have, in the region, at the end of the period, about 215 doctors with degrees, production and research experience in Education in Science and Mathematics. Thus, in each of the nine States that make up the Legal Amazon, we will have, on average, 20 doctors from the area (new and experienced), which enables us to take up the goal of implementing, by 2021, in each State of the Legal Amazon Brazilian a program of MASTERS IN EDUCATION IN SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS, academic or professional, depending on the demand of each State, that will form its Masters in the region itself. These same masters will have one or more doctoral programs in the region to give continuity, and their training and qualification will thus trigger a process of qualification of professors with less investment in trips to other regions of the country. This action will also allow a greater number of PhDs in the region, with the production of knowledge necessary for regional development, and an increase in the quality of undergraduate and basic education.
||Coordinator of the Amazonas Center: Prof: Dr. Josefina Barrera D. Kalhil |
Address: Avenida Djalma Batista, 2470. Chapada, Manaus - Amazonas - Brasil
CEP: 69050-010 - Telephone/Fax: 55 92 3232-0756 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|- PROFESSIONAL MASTERS IN SCIENCE TEACHING IN THE AMAZON
||1.1 CAPES - 3 Score |
||1.2 Chacteristics of the course |
The Professional Masters Degree in Science Teaching in the Amazon is an integral part of the Postgraduate and Research Program in Education and Science Teaching in the Amazon of the Escola Normal Superior (ENS) of the UEA. It results from a research and teaching trajectory, and was approved by the University Council of the UEA by Resolution no. 06/2005. The proposal is supported by a collective work of a group of professors committed to the intention of using the pedagogical practice to feed research and vice versa, focusing on scientific studies on teaching in the school context for the improvement of the educational level in different spheres of the system education. The first group began in 2006, and is finished in July 2012, in accordance with the negotiation with the Area 46 Evaluation Commission (CAPES).
||1.2 Profile of the post graduate professional |
The UEA Masters in Science Teaching student is the professional who contributes to the improvement of Science Teaching in the Amazon, from one of two aspects: developing studies on situations related to the process of teacher training in Teaching Sciences; Evaluating, elaborating, implementing and implementing didactic-pedagogical means and resources centered on the teaching of Natural Sciences, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
||1.3 Objectives |
- To train human resources to act in teaching and research in science teaching, based on the proposition and application of theoretical and methodological assumptions as a result of questions stimulated from the research areas of the program, contributing to the development of research, teaching and learning in the Amazon Region.
- Contribute to the improvement of Science Teaching in the Amazon, based on the development of studies of situations related to the teacher training process, focusing on epistemological, theoretical and methodological foundations, for the purpose of creating and proposing transformative alternatives for pedagogical practices and the strengthening and maximizing of school learning and the process of teacher training for the Teaching of Natural Sciences in Elementary and Middle School;
- Evaluate, elaborate, and implement didactic-pedagogical means and resources centered on the teaching of Natural Sciences, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, using methodologies and technologies developed in laboratories and school environments, for the purpose of optimization of Science teaching in the Amazon.
1.3.3 Profile of the professional to be trained: The UEA Masters in Science Teaching student is the professional who contributes to the improvement of Science Teaching in the Amazon, from one of two aspects: developing studies on situations related to the process of training science teachers; Evaluating, elaborating, implementing and implementing didactic-pedagogical means and resources centered on the teaching of Natural Sciences, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.